Apple Music on the Web
A few months ago Apple opened up beta.music.apple.com on the web as a beta. I spent a few minutes poking around in dev tools and found some neat things about it. Keep in mind it’s still in beta, so it’s subject to change.
- Ember.js - Interesting to see Apple use this as it’s not currently fashionable in the way React/Vue are. Good for them.
- SF Pro Icons - Seeing a few font files come down in
/fonts/SF-Pro-Icons/v1/. I assume these contain SF Symbols.
- Musickit - This name is used in a primary JS file
musickit.jsand throughout the app. I’m curious if there will be any developer APIs offered under a
MusicKitname in the future.
- BEM Syntax - They’re using a variant of BEM, at least thats my impression from just a quick glance at the markup.
- Frosted Glass - Apple is using -webkit-backdrop-filter to achieve it’s characteristic “frosted glass” look.
- Page Weight - It’s heavy. Based on my current ~1280x800 viewport it’s ~12MB.
I’m looking forward to this launching, and hoping Apple posts more technical details about how they built it.
Update: Apple does have a MusicKit API.Posted on February 10th, 2020